We just got back last weekend from our very first family vacation to the wonderful, amazing, exotic....Vernal, oh wait it's none of those. Whoops! Oh well we still had fun as a family even though the main portion of Dinosaur National Park was closed due to the fact that the building housing the query (that big wall with all the dinosaurs bones) is structurally unsound and won't be open till 2011. I read nowhere of this closure that happened two years ago! So maybe we should have just taken a trip to Thanksgiving Point to see the dinosaur museum there. The trip still had it's good parts. We loved the Utah Field House of Natural History State Park Museum, wow is that title long enough? There were hands on exhibits for the kids to experience and a lot of cool info for Baron and I. Now I sympathize with my parents when we would go to museums on our family vacations. My parents would want to read all the information at every exhibit and it would drive us nutts! Well here I am, a parent, and wanting to read about what we drove 175 miles to see! Did the kids let us? Nope, one tantrum after another. Oh well, I guess that is part of family vacations, at least until they are old enough to threaten, bribe, ground, berate, etc. You know all the tried an trues of parenthood (I hope you are feeling the sarcastic vibe, don't call social services on me.) We had a great time in the outdoor pool with the kids. Brie was showing off her skills learned during summer swim lessons this year. We're talkin mad bubble blowing skills! Colby loved riding the giant inflatable lobster we bought for the trip. So in all I feel like it was wonderful time spent with my family and totally worth the trip.










3 comments:
What a fun vacation! Kids do love dinosaurs. We took our little brood (3 at the time, I think) to Vernal about 28 years ago. Sorry you didn't get to see the rock wall and sorry they that haven't accurately advertized the situation. And why is it taking so long to re-open? However, when I was a kid the most important things on a family vacation were getting to eat out and getting to a motel with a pool! So, in my book, you succeeded!! Laur and I visited the museum a year ago and were impressed and read about the displays but we really enjoyed "digging for bones" and the walk around the outside. I love the photo of B&C&D in front of the raptor & petunias and green goggles is a close second. Thanks for sharing.
Classic Vernal vacation... did they have the booths or the glasses? Great pics of your cute kids, and looks like there are a few new dinos there since I remember (looking at the old fam' photo album anyway). Glad you could slip away for some fun. Love Colby's goggles. He just needs a motorcycle now.
Looks like you guys had fun. I've yet to visit fabulous Vernal, at least to my recollection. We'll be going there soon though for Abram's brother's wedding (his fiance is from som0e little place called Altamont, and they're getting married in the Vernal temple. We'll try not to end up missing during the ceremony, ha ha. Loved the pics. And P.S. Bubble blowing is about the only swimming skill I have retained from my glorious lessons at Bountiful Public Pool. Hazah!
Post a Comment